Proverb

A woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Give her the product of her hands,
And let her works praise her in the gates." (Proverbs 31:30b-31, NASV)

Friday, January 11, 2013

I saw a rainbow today


Image from http://ibibleverses.christianpost.com/


I saw a rainbow today. I saw it while I was driving my husband to the airport, as he is a groomsman in a good friend's wedding this weekend. He saw it too - a most beautiful curve of bright color striking out against the morning's grey backdrop. As my eyes looked upon it, I could hear God speaking to me, an unexpected and deeply needed whisper from my dear Creator reminding me during that long, drizzly drive from Chattanooga to Nashville of His promise - a promise made to me and to you long before we were ever born. After the great flood that overcame the earth, God says to Noah, "'This is a sign of the covenant I am making between Me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for future generations: I have placed My bow in the clouds, and it will be a sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. Whenever I form clouds over the earth and the bow appears in the clouds, I will remember My covenant between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh: water will never again become a deluge to destroy all flesh'" (Genesis 9:12-15, HCSB). Now I have always thought of rainbows as being beautiful; I think that even when my heart was the farthest from God, I could not hate a rainbow; there is something inherently wonderful about them. But now that I have opened up my heart and am saved by God's grace, rainbows have become extraordinary. More than a pretty refraction of light, which had been my literal, scientific understanding of them, I recognize that the rainbow is the symbol of His eternal promise. God whispered in my ear today a reminder that even though I may sometimes feel as though I am drowning in my current situation, I will not be destroyed by it. The rushing currents of this life will never overtake me. Why? Because of Him. Cling to Him like you would a lifesaver, a raft, a large piece of wood floating in the water, and He will save you; you may get wet, but you can float over the highest, hardest hitting waves if you just cling to Him, put your weight on Him. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment