Proverb

A woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Give her the product of her hands,
And let her works praise her in the gates." (Proverbs 31:30b-31, NASV)

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Orange Cardamom Muffins


So...a lot's happened since my last post. The big things have been our moving into a new house, which we absolutely love, and the entirely unexpected promotion I received at work (our Lord is so good!). So with moving, cleaning, painting, and with training, transitioning, starting, I've had little time for my dearly loved blog. But no more! My schedule's been set (Monday through Friday's a nice gig) and our house has been settled (for the most part, any way), and so here I am, ready to post again.

And to bring in a new season of posts, I am sharing one of my favorite recipes for breakfast. Adapted from a Food.com recipe, I gave it a twist with the addition of freshly ground cardamom. Cardamom and oranges are one of those BIG WIN combinations, giving a floral note to the sweet bite of citrus. I added it because, for me, the original recipe was a bit too bitter due to the orange rind. The cardamom cuts the bitterness without overpowering the muffin. I also included a bit of ground flax seed for a touch of nutty flavor.

These make for an excellent breakfast meal - a quick, easy choice to help me get out the door and onto my day. I enjoy a muffin in the mornings, after fixing my hair and strapping on my high heels, with a cup of coffee in my favorite chair.









Orange Cardamom Muffins  
Recipe by: Kimberly Meyers
Adapted from: http://www.food.com/recipe/fresh-orange-muffins-14325

www.jandkalways.blogspot.com
As always, this recipe is tried and true from my kitchen to yours.

Serving size: 12 Prep Time: 15-20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Rest: 5-10 minutes

Ingredients:
1 orange with peel, quartered and seeds removed
1/2 cup orange juice (or if using fresh oranges, 1 orange squeezed and add water to make 1/2 cup)
1 large egg
1/2 cup butter
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom (or if using mortar and pestle, grind seeds from approx 24 cardamom pods)
1 tsp. ground flax seed
1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Use muffin liners or take a paper towel and vegetable shortening to grease muffin tin. Combine dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside. Place orange quarters and orange juice in food processor and puree. Add egg and butter to oranges and blend well. Pour wet mixture into a bowl, then add dry ingredients. Fold together. Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes. Prick with a toothpick to make sure they are done, then let cool for approximately 5 minutes before removing from tin. Kept at room temperature on a plate covered with saran wrap, these will hold up for several days. Enjoy!





Always,
Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment