Proverb

A woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
Give her the product of her hands,
And let her works praise her in the gates." (Proverbs 31:30b-31, NASV)

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Three-day Weekend Success

It's day 3 of what has been a most wonderful and much needed long weekend. The weather here has dropped down to a cold 34°F with lots of wind, but the sun has been out during the day for which I am grateful. It's now time for wearing layers; you can find me wearing my favorite alma mater hoodie underneath one of my husband's bulky and warm jackets, wrapped up with a scarf. I have enjoyed wearing my recently finished granny square scarf. 17 squares of 5 rounds each makes this a wonderfully long scarf. I've received a number of compliments on it, which I think is due to the "just right" mix of feminine and masculine colors.


With the scarf finished, I decided to switch things up a bit and am now attempting  my first non-scarf crochet project, and I'm pretty excited about it. Our round, wooden kitchen table was passed down from a family member over a year ago, and the only placemats we ever had for it were rectangular and made out of plastic, which warped over time. So I've decided to try my hand at making our own, using this oval placemat pattern from Red Heart.



Here is the first completed one - not perfect but I'm pretty happy with it for my first try. The colors are quite lovely with our china, warm but not seasonal, so I am hoping to use them throughout the year. Three more to go!


Again I say that this weekend was perfectly timed, as I am scheduled to work the next 14 days straight. And since I find myself working on Thanksgiving, I decided to surprise my husband on Saturday with an early celebration. I prepared a beautiful roasted chicken, stuffed with aromatics like lemon, rosemary, and thyme, along with roasted red potatoes, onions, and broccoli, smothered with giblet gravy, served with homemade milk bread rolls, and for dessert a pumpkin pie made from scratch. Not too fussy, since it was just the two of us, but it turned out to be quite special.



We feasted after watching the much anticipated simulcast airing of the 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who. Epic, as always. "Allonsy!"


I'm happy to say it's been a very successful three-day weekend. There's food in the fridge for the upcoming week, laundry has been washed, folded, and put away, my Doctor Who fix has been satisfied (for now, at least), had some playtime with our dog, joked around with family, crocheted one placemat, dusted, kitchen's clean, and I even got a work out in! And the best part is that I got to spend much of the time with my wonderful husband. Three-day weekend success!

Always,
Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment